By Jim Mullen
Turning talking-points into exalted rhetoric has long been Barack Obama’s only claim to fame. He is an actor with an extraordinary knack for flawlessly delivering scripted lines with aplomb and polish to an audience. He can sound sincere and credible even when people know it is all make-believe. There comes a time, however, when listening to Obama’s ‘lines’ or watching his performances, one realizes his “showmanship” borders on the ridiculous.
Since the November election, Obama has starred in, what can only be described as a national standup comedy show. Touring the nation and inviting groups to the White House, he professes a swing to the center in his political ideology.
Obama delivers his shtick with the classic dryness of toast and a deadpan seriousness reminiscent of old-time comedian, Pat Paulson and would make any performer envious. His trusty stooge, TelePrompTer, enhances his oily smooth delivery. However, everything he says is trite, disingenuous, and predictable; leaving Americans scratching their heads and saying; what?
Business leaders, members of one of the most hated classes of Obama and his policies, became the invited audience for one of his latest ‘ole switch-a-roos. Mouths agape, they heard the one-time share-the-wealth, Marxist, transformed into a free-market capitalist.
Likewise, Obama went from railing against extending the Bush tax cuts as being ‘tax cuts for the rich”, to not just being a champion for tax cuts, but hijacking the concept as the only way to expand the economy and create jobs. Suddenly, it became the Obama tax cuts.
He boasted he would veto any legislation containing earmarks after Republicans had already ended them and after he had signed every piece of the Democrats’ legislation with billions in pork barrel spending.
The President added impersonations of Reagan, Lincoln and Kennedy to his repertoire; reasoning that the wrappings of conservative garb and rhetoric would camouflage his liberal ideology.
Obama has some one-liners and standup jokes that would leave audiences rolling in the aisles if not for the dead seriousness of his anti-Constitutional policies.
However undeterred by facts, logic, or truth Obama is, one can usually expect a consummate performance when the spotlight illuminates that raised head and arrogant, jutting chin.
Consider the following:
· “My policies have brought the country back from the brink of disaster.”
· “Things could be worse.”
· “At some point, you’ve made enough money.”
· “The stimulus has worked.”
· “Under my plan, energy prices would, necessarily, skyrocket.”
· ”Mubarak should listen to the people and make the right decision.” –after he disrespected, mocked and jeered Americans and their opposition to his policies.
· “We need to freeze discretionary spending.” –after increasing it 84 % over the last three years; thus, leaving it at historic levels.
· “I would give myself a good solid B+” –when asked to grade himself by Oprah Winfrey
· “I think when you spread the wealth around; it’s good for everybody.–explaining his Marxist ideas to Joe the Plumber.
· “Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions.” –exasperated by reporters after a news conference
· “It’s not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” –explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters
· “I don’t think it does anybody any good when public employees are denigrated or vilified or their rights infringed upon.” –while he shows disrespect, mocks, jeers, denigrates and vilifies American taxpayers for their opposition to his policies
Perhaps Mr. Obama could rent a bus and get Joe (We have met our goals over the last two years) Biden, Nancy (We have to vote for the bill to find out what’s in it) Pelosi and Harry (“You could literally smell the tourists coming into the Capitol” Reid, to go on a two-year “white collar comedy tour”. These four jokers oversaw a recession in which a 26 year high, eight million jobs were lost; nearly 3 million of those since the stimulus political payoff.
They could travel from bankrupt state to bankrupt state entertaining the folks and giving them some uproarious diversions and watch these poor excuses for public servants try to explain the nearly $3 trillion in debt they have racked up in the last two years.
If finding enough employed people to buy tickets is a problem, surely people would be willing to spend their unemployment checks to witness the spectacle if they added Jimmy (the Muslim Brotherhood isn’t anything to be afraid of) Carter, to the program.
Obama has made changes in his White House writers and changed the buzzwords and talking points, but he is the same tax-and-spend, social justice-loving, business-hating, socialist and community organizer, who stepped out on the stage that January 20th, 2009. A day which will live in infamy-to paraphrase FDR- for all freedom-loving Americans who believe in the United States Constitution.